Guenter Toerner (Chair of EMS Committee for Education) and Ferdinando Arzarello (President of the European Society for Research in Mathematics Education, ERME) publish this grading of mathematics education research Journal in European Mathematical Society Newsletter December 2012, pp. 52-54:
- Educational Studies in Mathematics
- Journal for Research in Mathematics Education
- For the Learning of Mathematics
- Journal of Mathematical Behavior (The)
- Journal of Mathematics Teacher Education
- Mathematical Thinking and Learning
- ZDM:The International Journal on Mathematics Education
- International Journal of Mathematical Education in Science and Technology
- International Journal of Science and Mathematics Education
- Mathematics Education Research Journal
- Recherches en Didactique des Mathematiques
- Research in Mathematics Education
- Canadian Journal of Science, Mathematics and Technology EducationJournal fiir Mathematik-Didaktik
- Nordisk matematikkdidaktikk / Nordic Studies in Mathematics Education, NOMAD
- Technology, Knowledge and Learning (formerly: International Journal of Computers for Mathematical Learning)
- The Montana Math Enthusiast
A quote on methodology used:
[75 experts from 32 countries experts graded] the journals on a four-point scale: A*,A, B or C, or to declare that they did not know the journal and code it with an X. The scale was defined according to four dimensions, characterising each rank: recognition; review process and quality standards; editors and editorial board; and citations. For example, the ranks A and B are described as:
- Recognition: The journal is recognised amongst researchers around the world as a strong one in the field of mathematics education.
- Review process and quality standards: Through a systematic process of peer review the journal maintains high standards with a view to publishing research that displays the intellectual rigour, originality and significance that will be recognised as making a valuable contribution to the field.
- Editor(s) and editorial board: The editor(s) and the members of the editorial board of the journal are themselves highly regarded researchers, many already recognised as international leaders in the field of mathematics education.
- Citations: The journal is regularly cited in other journals, and many high quality research publications in mathematics education make some reference to work published in it.
- Recognition: The journal is recognised by researchers around the world as an estimable one in the field of mathematics education.
- Review process and quality standards:Through a process of peer review the journal sets standards of rigour, originality and significance that command international respect within the field.
- Editor(s) and editorial board: The editor(s) and the members of the editorial board of the journal are themselves well regarded researchers in the field of mathematics education.